Thursday, January 24, 2008

Blogging poorly...

Just how many of my blogs start with an apology ? Really, I will spare you this time. :)
I was recently nominated for a "blogging with purpose award", by my dear friend and fellow blogger Saralyn of A Place Beneath. I am so flattered. I confess to you , I have no idea what the award is, what it means, or when or how you win, let alone what possessed her to nominate me. But flattered, that I am. Thank you for thinking of me Saralyn! Let me know what I need to do!
http://www.bloggingwithapurpose.com/

Now for
The trip.
Let me start off by saying, these trips are as rewarding as they are challenging. As fun, and as indulgent as they can be stressful. They can be as adventurous as they can be lonely. They are walks of faith, and the rewards are tremendous. Even the "hard" days can be the best days, because these are the days where faith is stretched, character is built and love is grown. I wouldn't trade these "Cornforth Adventures", but I won't dazzle them for you. We are REAL people with sins and flaws and all. As IF you didn't know THAT ! I forget to whom I write!

Day 1 of the great adventure eastward. It was this past Friday. The Friday before we leave, the Friday of the GREAT MIDWESTERN FREEEEEZE! Yes the very day we need to get rental car packed, the very day my darling husband was to be home from work early... Well, that day, he came home NOT so early. But that is ok. All is well, we packed the van first thing in the morning Saturday, Day 2. The COLDEST DAY of the GREAT MIDWESTERN FREEEZE! Burrrrr. After packing like maniacs, chasing a 3 year old, scrubbing all the toilets (gonna be gone a while, THAT could get really ..... icky if you know what I mean), vacuuming, etc. We hit the road, only one glitch. The passenger seat belt isn't working! :)
by not working what does she mean?
like CHOKING me, getting tighter, and tighter, till it hurts! :) yes, I did what any rational woman would do (please do not comment that you would NEVER do this, it might make me cry), I unbuckled the seat belt.
Yes.
On the expressway?
Yes.
In terrible traffic?
NO.
Going Fast?
yes.
Really fast?
Yes.
But only for a moment. Only to readjust the belt so as to not be in pain.
Oh, ok, fine, you think.
Fine?
It wouldn't re snap. It wouldn't cross over, it broke!
Somehow it is my fault?
In the car for 20 minutes and somehow just my presence, simply sitting in the car broke it.
So to the rental place we go. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me. I shall praise your Name always! :)
It is a rather scary thing to drive down the expressway with NO seat belt on.
Yes I know, years ago they didn't wear them. Years ago we slept in the back of the station wagon and even all climbed into the bed of the pick up truck to go to the drive in too. But I wasn't brainwashed back then. It was a real "faith in the Father" moment for me. A real, Get a Grip Cornforth moment. Where I kept saying "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding."

The guys at the rental place said that the cold, caused the guiding mechanism to snap.
All is well, now that they took out the broken piece, it should be JUST FINE! That is nice, isn't it? And so they sent us on our merry way, knowing full well, we were crossing the country.

Well it happened the whole way to Massachusetts. :) Way to go guys. This is where you don't take scripture out of context and "do unto others as they did to you, " , but rather remember it says, "as you would have done to you".... no it isn't an exact quote, but I know it.

After much grace and some apologies, as in it really wasn't my fault :), and my darling was merely exhausted, and stressed, and loves me etc. We carried on, stopping in Pennsylvania for the night.
Day3, we drive forever through Penn, then through NEW York, into Connecticut and up to Mass. We didn't take 90, as the storm were brewing near the great lakes, and we wanted to avoid any blizzards. So clear skies all the way.

Arrive at hotel, Beautiful, 2 bedroom with kitchen. Woo hoo! Thank you Lord! What a glorious answer to prayer....With a three year old and homeschooling added to the estimated time frame, you BET' YA I was praying.

Day 4, un packing, swimming, groceries shopping.... Not a very exciting day. I did work out! But in the evening we went out to Kennedy's! A great restaurant, and really enjoyed myself, Rob even split a dessert with me ! It was vanilla and razz berry swirled ice cream coated with white chocolate, drizzled with dark chocolate, and drizzled still further with a raspberry sauce! Woo hooo, delicious!

Day 5 we swim ( for p.e. --- YES I am instructing them. They are learning back stroke, front crawl, and breast stroke. ) So fun! We did some latin, some math, and reading. Very fun day. Plenty of time for the game room too! I even worked out! Dinner was Taco's, in our room, I cooked it up! Yummy.

Day 6 That would be today!
I started the day with oversleeping a smidge, and worked out. The children were awake when I came back to the room. We went downstairs for breakfast. I had an omelet. Again. I love the omelet man. Not personally, but ideally. I love just the idea that such a position exists in the world. There are luxuries that exist, that I will NEVER be given an opportunity to indulge in, but I am thankful they exist. Like a "presidential suite", or a house with an indoor pool, or the Biltmore Estate. I would LOVE to live there, it grieves me to know that NO ONE lives there anymore. It is a museum now. (Ashville NC). It seems wrong somehow. anyway... Just knowing about these luxuries, does not cause envy, but just a glad feeling. I don't envy the rich. I am happy for them, and happy for the jobs that their "indulgences" can produce. I am happy just to know the omelet guy. But it is a delight to indulge in the omelet itself as well. Perhaps in a week or so I will grow tired of the omelet, and let him make me something else. then again, perhaps not. :)
After breakfast we had swim class. Then 15 min free play, then up and showered. We got through Latin review, German class, (conversational is this week) Roman history (which they need to learn for Latin class , which annoys me because in History class we are only in the Ancient Greeks... I know I know, get over it Cornforth!) It was fun none the less, and I need to just "get over" things some times. :) After that we did some more of "The Wanderings of Odysseus." That made me happy.
Then lunch, then, off to find a Red Box...... More school, and soon dinner. On tonight's menu is my Turkey Sausage Potato Soup. I created it one day when I had a real craving for the sausage soup at the Olive Garden. It is delicious, but I don't put all the greens in it. Yes it would be healthier, but my people would NEVER eat it, and so again, I had to get over it. :)
As for now Buddy is napping. more above on RED BOX!

No comments: