Field trips are really important to homeschooling in my humble opinion.. I think, that especially since my children struggle with some health challenges, that adventuring OUT with JUST their own family, or even with their friends in a home school "group" format is a very wonderful, very healthy thing for them to be doing. It adds to their school year, it adds to their educational foundation, it adds to their hearts the sense that LIFE is truly well, and all is NOT lost because mostly we only get out to go to doctors, pharmacies or the grocer.
As a home educator, I MUST, consider many possible ideas for a field trips.
Some of these will be BIG adventures.. Some will be simple adventures to a new park... It doesn't have to cost much..
It really IS all in HOW I treat the adventure.
DID I BRING a camera? AM I making a big deal of it? AM I asking questions? AM I having them search for things? Is there a point of learning? Is there then a point of free exploration?
If I do THESE things...
and I blog or journal about it, and MARK it on the calendar.. IT becomes a great big deal to THEM.
and so a FIELD trip has been born...
many are free
JOIN US!
as we share them here!
Sound - A Vibration
Music is just that... and Wheaton College Orchestra Put on a GREAT show a few weeks back! We really enjoyed it when we went with our home school group.
I never pass up an opportunity to drive to Wheaton, it's a town so rich in our Christian Heritage,
and with the Christian College right there,
it has this JOYFUL energy!
What was so neat ABOUT the show was that the students explained things like the
SCIENCE behind the music..
THE WHY of why we even HEAR the music
WHY we hear the percussion
AND WHY we hear the strings
HOW the instrument works
and it was a JOY to listen to...
VERY exciting to hear live pieces we only get to hear usually on radio!
After we had a blast with our group at the show,
some of us decided to walk across campus to the
Billy Graham Center
It is so amazing, and encouraging.
It is one of my favorite places to go
If you are ever in the Chicago area for a few days
and CAN get out to Wheaton, DO try to see it
you will be blessed!
Walking in the stately building...
ya didn't think JUST cause we are YANK's that we'd not give ol' Billy a nice proper Center now did ya?
makes me smile every time!
an example of some of the lovely artwork
with in the walls...
this one caught my eye..
perhaps because right now...
I feel like I have so little to offer...
but I know God is pleased..
I love how dark this room is, and how
this wall
simply LIGHTS UP
with the promise
of eternal life!
Then off back across the campus once again!
to the WADE Center!
Why???
Well..
Did you know that C.S. Lewis's wonderful treasures are stored HERE?
That the REAL Wardrobe is housed HERE?
His desk, the one he wrote the story on, is HERE?
and for a limited time, so were some effects from the movie's of Narnia!
The DESK!
Buddy in front of the Wardrobe..
There is an actual warning
that they are NOT responsible if you get lost for going INSIDE!
so BEWARE!
Mr. Lewis's Grandfather built this beautiful Wardrobe & it's twin by HAND for Clive and his brother!
I like this photo, because you can get a great view of HOW lovely the wardrobe is,
AND you can see the beautiful painting of Aslan!
Narnia!
don't you want to go?
I do...
maybe I will go in the Wardrobe after all...
Kids? Wanna join me?
some of the ooo soooo cool things from the movie..
but I was informed they aren't really THAT cool..
because they are just movie things..
and NOT REALLY Mr. Lewis things
Well
there ya have it!
Trying to find fun adventures that are CLOSE at hand
with more and more frequency...
as to make the stress in their world
LESS
hoping to share more with YOU
soon!






1 comment:
So cool... I didn't realize that field trip was so packed with interest. The CS Lewis museum sounds so cool. Narnia can be so real to me at times.
Peace and Grace!!
Mari
Post a Comment