Monday, August 28, 2006

home at last & Coles' birthday

Home is where your heart is ...and home at last I am... Happy Birthday Cole

It seemed as if we were gone the whole summer...though it was not exactly the whole summer. Just a "whole" bunch of it. Where have we been? Why is it we havn't blogged? Life gets crazy here this time of year.
Rob had business in Mass. and we all went with to be a blessing to him.
We visted Lexington and Concord...did the trail, saw the red coat re inactors....Went to the house where Louisa May Alcott grew up, only to leave it when we saw the big price tag attatched to the priviledge of view said house....let's see, lunch for a family of five, or....tour a dead persons home? Hmmmm, I confess we were just hungry by that time of day !
We also explored Sleepy Hollow, yes, yes, we did.
We saw there in Sleep Hollow, where Alcott, Emerson, Hawthorn and one other author were buried. Cole and Kiah thought it was so very neat.
We dined by candle light at the Wayside Inn, the very one that Longfellow wrote of all those many years ago.
We met a delightful baker, whose name I will pass on as soon as I find her business card.
We visited Boston, and walked the Freedom Trail.
We walked the ol' Ironsides, up and down, ferried back to the main land and saw some more.
We hiked about Plymoth saw the rock, and explored the plantation, in search of different tribes and tongues.
We strolled about old Sturbridge village and chatted with people as if it were 1830.
We met a potter, and a blacksmith, an artist named mr. Barbee.
We had a delightful time.
The omlette man was wonderful, the local beach was a blast, the rec center was fun, Kennedy's was fabulous, and we learned there that Ben is afraid of live lobsters! Very very loudly afraid.
We visited my cousin Pete and his family.
We watched little cousins play and play and play to make up for times gone by.
We went to a pool party, and met our families friends.
We drove on to Duxbury beach, and parked and played.
We swam in the atlantic ocean.
We squinted our eyes as best we could to try to see europe on the other side, but just couldn't.
We grilled on the beach, had dinner on the beach. Kiah, Shannon (cousin's niece) and I walked as far as we could before getting scared and turning back.
We watched the full moon come over the ocean and light everything up.
We listened to the waves crash methodically upon the beach.
We lay in the sand, surrounded by darkness, and spoke of The Creator, and his handiworks in the sky.
We dreamed big dreams, and walked home.
We saw turtle eggs, and collected shells,
we marveled at God's creation.
We dug pits in the beach, and Ben climbed in.
We built sand castles and Ben sat on them. Ben loved the sand, not everyone appreciated just how much.
We met nice people.
We met interresting people...But there is no place like home.
Home are we.
Today is Cole's 10th Birthday.
Happy Birthday Cole !
I became a mom 10 years ago today. 10 years ago today, I held my first child in my arms, and didn't know who to thank.
Now I do. I thank the Lord God in His infinate grace. I knew looking at that wee babe in my arms, that I didn't do that. I don't know how to make the fabric of skin, or how to make a heart beat, I don't know how to make eyes, let alone that color of blue. I don't know how to thread soft fuzz into hair on a baby's head. O, so much I didn't do. So much that God did in me, and to me, and through me. It was the beginning 10 years ago, of my understanding, that I'm not all that, that I can't do it all, be it all, or know it all. It was the only the beginning.
I've loved being a mother more than anything. It is so humbling, so heart warming, heart wrenching, so well, wonderful.
and that boy...Cole, the one who is growing, the double digit, big kid in my house. I love that boy. I love him so much. I've loved his little baby days, little toddler days, little boy days, and now, I enjoy his adventurous boyhood. Someday he will be a man. I pray Lord, that he strive after you, long for and search after you. That he'd be humble, kind, a man after your heart. And thank you so much for picking me out of the sea of girls to become his mother.
One decade of mother hood down...A lifetime ahead.

No comments: