Monday, June 04, 2007

Whoopsy Daisy!

We go north over Memorial Day weekend... We go way up north, and we go with family. We stay in cabins and it is delightful, restful, and campy in a lovely way. We stay in cabins like civilized people, cabins with bathrooms and kitchens and fireplaces and big back porches that overlook a lake, with hanging beds in them. We really live it up! But we fish, and have campfires, and get a bit rustic, just not too rustic... It is fun.

Over the past Memorial weekend, my mother, known to some of you as THE "domestic godess" (lower g, not to be worshipped), taught me to crochet! I love it. I have completed one beautiful scarf in a gorgeous red, and have started an Afghan.
A word about being a beginner and starting out on such a big project.... think long, and think hard...
My big blanket, is 300 stitches long. I made a big mistake and didn't notice till I was about 8 rows past.... that would be about 2400 stitches I had to undo... Probably more, because I am guessing here It might have been more rows... It is depressing. So today I undid all the rows to get to the mistake. It was over 1/2 the blanket ( I am new at this).... It was sad to undo all that hard work.... But it got me thinking about my walk with Jesus.
When we mess up, sin, hurt someone, or make a mistake, as Christians, we can't just keep going. We haven't the luxury to blow past and pretend the whoopsy daisy didn't happen. We must stop, and go back and do our best to make it right again, to make restitution, or at the Very least, apologize and ask for forgiveness. We simply MUST go back to that spot and do our best in Christ Jesus to make it better.... and go on from there. It's hard to do. It is hard to unravel all that work, just like it can be hard to go to a friend a year after a spat, and say, there was a mistake, here, some sin got entangled, can we go back, can we stitch this right??? We must because we bare the name of Christ. We are Christ followers. If we want to understand why we are sinful, we must go back to the beginning of man, and look to that garden, and remember the sin. Life doesn't have a do over button, it can't be unraveled like my blanket, but we can, we must go back to the beginning. God went back to the beginning, in the garden, where it all began, and He NEVER forgot the promise He made... Jesus was in the beginning. He was the promise, the red thread that would weave our mistake into something glorious for God glory!
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.....If it weren't for the mistake, or frankly the sin, He needn't have come. But He came, He taught, loved, healed, He died for my sins, to restore me to Himself, to reconcile me, He rose, conquering death and hell, victorious, and it is amazing to live in that grace, in that mercy...
I am so glad I can go back and acknowledge my mistakes, acknowledge my sins, confess them, and weave, knit or crochet it new with Jesus...i don't need to pretend I have it all together, that I am perfect...Jesus holds it all together, He is able, and He is perfect... I am so thankful for all He is doing in me, through me, to me, and my family! You see, I can't pretend I didn't make a mistake in that blanket, because the more rows I do, the more noticeable it is. Eventually even you would see it, even someone who doesn't crochet would see it, and you would notice, and I would KNOW it, and I would hate that blanket, and all my work.... Because I would know I could have made it right, but didn't.... It would undo me...

What about you? Whats undoing you? What do you need to undo?

No comments: