Tuesday, December 23, 2008

If you could pick JUST one thing that you are most thankful for this Christmas.... what would it be?

I had this question posed to me, and I am really thinking on it.... It seems light hearted but really it bears some weight, some substance.... for in answering one, you are neglecting another, in answering vaguely one does not always answer sincerely... and I wish to be sincere, and honest, and really, well, answer the question... of ALL that I am so thankful for, for there is so very much for me to be thankful for, what is it that I am most thankful for....?


I would love to say health, but.... ours hasn't been the best, yet still I am here, walking and talking, breathing and all the rest, by the Grace of the Great Physician alone, of THAT I feel certain....
I would love to say a job, because Praise God my husband has one when so many are loosing theirs.....
I would love to pick just my children, because they are a blessing from the Lord and I delight in them, rejoicing at the precious time I have with them, albeit fleeting...
I would love to pick my husband, because by God's grace, he comes home to ME every night, when so many do not...

I would love to pick my parents, for they are so kind and generous and gracious with me, and it is by God's good mercy they are still here with me, when so many of my friends are alone this Christmas
I would Love to pick my church, because it is such a place of sanctuary for me, a place where the Truth of Jesus is preached, the scriptures are 'teached' and the LOVE of the Lord is just present...

I could Pick my Nation, because even if it has some "issues" it still has more freedom's than any other, and I am so free here still, to worship God.
I would love to say my home because I have one, by the grace of God when so many are loosing theirs, and even with it's patched walls, leaky windows, icky floors it is HOME and it is full of family...
but of all that I am thankful for I have to Pick Jesus,

yes just JESUS,

the salvation that I have found in HIM,
because all my blessings are from Him
all my burdens are carried by HIM
He is my all and all
His birthday celebration is coming up,


it is in midst of Chanukah's,
the festival of lights....
I won't get into the big lengthy dissertation on it but
suffice it to say there are two reasons the Hebrews celebrate the Festival of Lights, let me quote.... from a Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein




During Hanukkah, Jews cele"brate two miracles. The first miracle is the military victory 2,100 years ago of a small group of Jews, the Maccabees, against a powerful Greek-Syrian army that had invaded and occupied Israel, defiled the Temple, and tried to impose paganism upon the Jewish people. Despite overwhelming odds, the Jews fought fiercely and, through God’s favor, prevailed. This pivotal victory was the key to the survival of the Jews as a people and Judaism as a faith.
The second miracle involves a flask of oil. After overcoming the invaders, the Jews set about to purify the Temple during the eight day Feast of Dedication. Upon entering, they found only one flask of purified oil for the eternal flame – enough to keep it burning for just one day. But, miraculously, the oil lasted eight days and nights until more pure oil could be brought. This is why Hanukkah is celebrated for eight days, and why it is called the "Festival of Lights."




Advent.....
Jesus,
The LIGHT OF THE WORLD.....
Advent the Lighting of the Wreaths....
As I have mentioned earlier, Advent means "coming", and the candles on the wreath remind us that Jesus, the Christ, the Messiah, the ONE,
came into this world of darkness, this world of sin
to be OUR light
and He will come again
On the traditional wreath there are four candles that are evenly placed....
A new candle is lit each of the four Sabbaths prior to Christmas (Sunday for most Christians)
The same candles lit on Sunday are lit during the week... A fifth candle of white is placed in the center for Christmas Eve.
The First Candle represents the Prophets, having the Faith in the Scriptures of the COMING of the Christ, and the history of the Scriptures and God's faithfulness to us....Lighting it is a time of remembering as well as looking forward to.... the coming (these may be any color though tradition has this one be purple)

The Second Candle represents Angels, the JOY that they announced in the NEW BIRTH of baby Jesus! (this candle is also Purple)

The Third Candle represents The Shepherds, Love and Jesus' second coming! (this one is PINK)

The Fourth Candle represents The Wise Men, HOPE and PEACE, the Peace that comes in Christ!

The White of the Center Candle is the purity, the spotless lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world....

The Purple represents repentance, a very appropriate attitude to have in preparing for the Coming of the Messiah....
the Pink, is Joy, Love, it is what fills us, as we know Him, isn't it.... as we draw near to God, and He draws near to us (James 4:8)
how do I celebrate Christmas.....?
drawing near, as I am wrapping presents..... how about you?

No comments: