Saturday, August 28, 2010

Just a little fun............or not

Just a little fun Mama... Please...
See sick with Lyme.. He doesn't often GET to play outside as of late..
He certainly hadn't played with this friend, not nearly all summer long..
He asked to walk down the street,
so we packed up Baby in the stroller :)
and we walked together to see if his friend could play,
he should be home from school by now.
His little friend invited Buddy to join him on another neighbors trampoline..
some nice older neighbor girls I know would be with him...
my gut said NO!!!!!!!!!!
my heart said...
LET him have some fun today..
stop stiffeling his one chance to play..
you don't know what tommorrow may bring...
so...
I smiled and said
Just for about 25 minutes Buddy...
and I sat to visit with the Mother...
It probably didn't even take that long...
I wasn't wearing a watch..
the Nice GIRLS as he calls them
maybe they just went in for a drink?
I don't know..
it doesn't matter...
but the "spirit of the game" changed..
maybe the actual game itself changed..
He said he felt "safer" when they were there
that is ALL that matters to me...

The GAME is called "DEAD MAN"
and THIS is how it is played.
look out your window..
walk INTO your neighbors yard to SEE
if it's being played
with YOUR child.
I will never know if he was JUST being included..
or
if he was being "initiated"
because he was NEW to the group
or because he was different
for NOT going to school..
or what..
and
THAT
doesn't really matter..
It IS
a real game
and YOU don't
want YOUR child playing it
NOT EVER
ONE child
(mine)
lays down flat in the middle of the trampoline
while the others walk around the edge...
making it bounce...
they can then make it bounce as fast
as HARD
as the group decides
and
the child
(mine)
flops about
in the middle
like
a dead man.
and guess what????
it can make them..
guess what...
dead.
my son heard a crack
he asked them to stop..
THANK THE LORD
these kids DID
he started to get off
when the nice girls came..
he thought to stay on
because
as HE said
'they make the rules"
hmmmm
how HARD were those boys jumpin?????
he decided to get off
his neck hurt...
Buddy always smiles,
he came to me and said it hurt ..
sat by me, and played cars
and then in less than 10 minutes we went home...
Buddy acted like NOTHING happened...
with IN an hour
he was SCREAMING IN PAIN
we calmed him...
we soothed him..
we figured he stretched a muscle..
we STILL had YET to hear the REAL story
of the DEAD MAN game
hmmm
I called the chiropractor first thing in the morning
Buddy could not straighten his head...
but assured me THAT he was fine...
BIG smile..
over some oatmeal and a Banana
I heard his story
at the Chiropractors
I heard it again..
with more details..
and scared looks over to me..
the doctors face looked utterly SHOCKED
why..
because he totally
and
completely
understands
what THAT does
to your body
do you?
He did not adjust Buddy...
He "examined" Buddy
He had Buddy do... what Buddy could..
and sent us STRAIGHT to Immediate Care..
hmmm
why..
Fastest way to get X-Rays
to see if his NECK WAS BROKEN
now MY jaw was dropping..
open wallet..
my licence..
my insurance card are still in my hospital overnight bag from when I had surgery on MONDAY
this is NOT a happy day for me..
it is LUNCH hour
and I have to drive all the way back up Randall and back down again..
ok..ok  ok..
breath...
go.
We did it
and..
Torticollis- his neck is twisted...
Cervical Neck Sprain & Strained
Subluxation of C2 with relation of C3 with in the upper range for a child of this range
any further damage
could have caused spinal cord injury...
he also has a concussion...
We were told he can not run, jump, ride any toys at all..
if he falls, slips down the stairs
if we are in any sort of accident at all, even minor
we MUST bring him to hospital ER for further evaluation
because it can jar him into a more dangerous position..
it could hit the spinal cord
we are to see an Orthopedic with in a few days.
The doctor said for our "first opinion"
???
I don't know if he MEANT to say that...
if it was a slip...
it wasn't written anywhere.. :)
Watch for odd behavior etc etc in regards to the concussion
because an injury like this could have caused
BRAIN BLEEDING
and there is no way to know without a CT scan...
hmmm.
are you breathing yet?
because I was having to TELL myself to..
and then look to Buddy and smile BACK at him..
because...
he was still
smiling at me
:)
When the nurse came in with all the papers
she gave me the advice that ONLY a nurse can give..
a wise nurse
a nuse whose BEEN a mother perhaps?
After going through the long list of what to watch for the next 48 hours
she looked me straight in the face
and said
if YOU feel concerned in any way
if your gut just TELLS you
if you NEED to know
don't wait
just go to the ER and find out
mothers intuition IS the best thing....
and HAD I not been reminded of THAT already???

By now.. the other kids were starved to death
and it was nearly 4 o'clock by the time we got to my mothers... Rob was on his way, and was insisting in Fatherly instinct.. Which was fine.. I didn't know if my heart wanted a CT SCAN or if guilt wanted it or intuition.. I was hungry, and miserable.. I DID want to see my mom..
and BABY needed a place to spread out and PLAY ! :)



The ER was pretty packed when we got there..
and getting through was no EASY Feat..
I had to advocate for my child ONCE again..
and MAMA bear came out..
Rob isn't used to this..
he says I take "tone"..
I'll give him some "tone"
:)
and then a bear hug!
Look at that boy!



CT Scans are NOT as safe as the FEEL when you are in them.. they carry quite a risk.. Making the decision to do this was not one we carried lightly.. Frankly we never expected his injury to be THIS serious.. We felt we had to get the FULL scope of its severity.. We needed to rule out brain injury as well. It was a prayerful, frightening decision... If you have always been told these are benign tests and safe as can be, you may not be aware that they are emitting Radiation.  Your Cell phone does too.  To learn more, click
and you will be suprised to know that now.. even the hospital staff was required to tell us that the test was risky...
most especially risky to children
WOW
I have known that for years.
did YOU know that?


Praise the Lord,
the results came fast
not Fast enough for Papa who was snacking on M&M's
(Red dye 40 another cancer causing agent)
Buddy does NOT appear to have any trauma to the brain..
a concussion YES
but no bleed or anything else they could see!
Hurrah!

so... Buddy will be having a VERY uneventful weekend
if MAMA has anything to do with it..
and then to find this Ortho guy
and then to the Chiro
to compare notes
and then to the THRONE of God
to pray about it all
and make decisions

Just wanted you all to know..
about a little game..
I knew NOTHING about..
That rumor..
about how dangerous Trampolines can be..
pssst..
tis true!

3 comments:

Teri said...

(((((((((((Anika))))))))

Sweet mommy, you are not to blame for this.

Praying for you and Buddy.

Annette said...

Agree with Teri and am thankful the CT scan showed no brain trauma or anything! Praying for you all!

Kathryn Grace said...

Oh my... praise the Lord he did not have brain damage! Wow... we were not allowed to play on trampolines when we were little - I guess that was wise!
Will be praying for ya'll!