Friday, April 24, 2009

To Market!!! To Market!!!

We finally figured out MARKET!!! HURRAY, and we went! To market to market!
Market here is almost every day, but it is early in the day and is done at noon, it starts at 6am... My problems have been
a) not knowing where market was,
b) if it was on a specific day
c) gettin up and out early in the morning when we are still adjusting to French time :)

BUT alas, I spent some time on the internet researching and diciphering the french language, and determined, to the best of my ability, that the closest local market was actually down those steps across the square, then across the Rue, across the river on the Pont (bridge) and down the Rue that runs next to the River Saone... opposite me... ! Not far at all! And I also thought I figured that it was nearly every day but monday! Well, I determined that TODAY would be the day! And come what may, we would go! What was the worst thing that could happen? NO market? well... than at least we get a beautiful walk out of it, and I told the children if that happened we would continue walking down the Rue to the Rhone River to see what there was to see! :) Win win right?

here is a pretty picture of a street near me...

here is the little square that will open up to another little square that leads to my stairs! isn't it pretty... up in the corner by the blue sky, you can see the basillica!!!!!!!!! sooooo lovely


that is a zoom in of what we like to think of as our square! see the preety arched wooden doors? Those are of a church! And people sit on those steps, and there are bistro's and cafe's and stores all about that square too! but in front of the church, there are often street musicans or street artists performing for you, it is very entertaining to see! Just to the left of the church is the Wonderful Afrikan Restaurant we went to for dinner last night! OOOO my was it delicious! It was owned by an Afrikan Islander, I forgot the name of the Isle, it's a French Colony, Shel something, not far off the coast of Madagascar... simply delightful fooods, it reminded me of Creole and Caribbian, but it was still distinct with it's use curry... not used the way the Indian people use it... very distinctly Afrikan, o how I loved it... We shall definately go back!

Here is our plaza from across the street! Is it not lovley?
Beautiful Darlings, Caspian, Buddy, Princess KI
crossing the Saone
Looking back to our side of the Saone River isn't our side soo lovely? Look at all the pretty buildings!
My fellow adventurers! Looking at the birds and ducks in the river!
OK, so we found the Market and in all our excitement and in all its craziness, and in my american Mommyness, I didn't want to let go of Buddy's hand , I just did not get any photo's .. sorry! Next time, I will be more adventureous! But look at all we got! All but that beautiful Baguette that Princess KI is holding... we snacked on that Right AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OUR BOUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Breads, Sausages, Farm FresH EGGS, Chavre Cheese (from the CHEESE GUY!) Pastries, Flowers, mellons strawberries, oh my! I LOVE THE MARKET DAY IN LYON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo hoo I look forward to tomorrow!

5 comments:

Saralyn said...

You may never want to come home! Looks marvelous!

Senegal Daily said...

Better late than never...this may be helpful:

http://lyon-eats.blogspot.com/2009/02/today-is-market-day.html

Looking forward to meeting you soon!

Senegal Daily said...

PS - Me again! Our favorite market in Lyon is on Sunday mornings along the SaƓne River. On the Vieux Lyon side there's the art market and on the other side is THE food market. Enjoy!

sweetnika said...

Kari,
I LOVE that weblog, Lyon-eats I go to it nearly every day looking up new things... it is WONDERFUL! Keep them coming! :) I was at market again today, and will go again tomorrow, perhaps ... PERHAPS it will become boring... lol perhaps not...

Papa said...

I love being with my Family :)