This Wednesday is THE actual DAY before Thanksgiving... It is a day of pure and unadulterated EXCITEMENT!!!!!! It is a 100% PRACTICAL LIFE day.. meaning no book work to be done AT all..
Books on tape MAY be listened to...
as we wander...
to the grocery store!!!!!!!
we need the ingredients to Princess KI"s soon to be FAMOUS cranberry sauce! (famous already to all her kin!)
We need various other odds and ends too... for THE big day...
and for life,... such as toothpaste (Buddy thinks the one kind i do have is too spicy and it makes him cry, the other "sample' I have left over from a hotel, well THAT has fluoride, and HE asked if I was trying to KILL him with cancer!!! (Buddy is only 4!) It was quite the emotional out burst.. in the end, Buddy brushed his teeth with cold water... utterly flabbergasted.. but THERE ya have it..
we also need food for the rabbit.. yes.. today he ate only carrots, parsley stems, oats and timothy hay. mind you, said rabbit, NEVER, no not EVER, not even ONCE complained... I rather think he prefers this diet to the standard boring pellets.. Yet, I think in the long run, the pellets are indeed more cost effective for me.
Thus tomorrow is wandering Wednesday... we have some wandering to do... we have some cooking to do, some cleaning to do, some really FUN, getting ready for THANKSGIVING TO DO :)
Aside from the practical, nitty gritty, cooking, shopping, measuring, ingredients, lists, and all that. I like this day so much, because it is a day free from any REAL stress... any sort of standard. It is a day we can talk, and think about WHAT we are thankful for. A day I can ask the questions of the children, and be quiet, for as LONG as it takes for them to simply ... think and... answer..
The day before thanksgiving is a wonderful day... They went to bed tonight, and one MIGHT have thought, that tomorrow was to be Christmas! So excited were they, to have a day shopping, and baking, cooking and cleaning, singing, and laughing, and preparing delicious things to eat for people they love so very very much...
The next greatest day, is the day after thanksgiving.. because we do some of those recipes AGAIN! for my husbands side of the family!!!!!!!!! THEY love Princess Ki's "soon to be famous' Cranberry sauce too! We mustn't HOG it! :) ha ha!
There is something wonderful in the preparation of a holiday... something magical, and memory building in the making of it, together, as a family... More so, than even JUST the day...
Something wonderful in the wandering down grocery isles, moseying through cookbooks together, sorting through spice racks to see for certain if all the ingredients are had, something delightful in making that list, checking it twice, and making something to eat together... tasting along the way.. Listening to stories on tape, or music, or sermons, and talking to one another. Something amazing happens in the moments before the grand celebration, in the ticking of the clock, and the beating of the hearts as we breath together, laugh together, live together, love together, and are a family together.
Something exciting... something messy... It's beginning to look a lot like..... Christmas... Advent... time to kick it of with a day of real and honest THANKSGIVING to God.. and tomorrow... tomorrow, we get our hearts, our homes, our heads, really ready to do just that...
Ready to Love the Lord our God with ALL our heart with all our mind, soul, strength, and ready to Love our neighbor as ourselves... It is what He asked of us.. tomorrow, (excitedly she wrote), it begins afresh... the newness, the freshness, the messiness, the joy...
I love the day before Thanksgiving... It forces me to consider........... being thankful... and what THAT is...
to consider what I am thankful for ... and who they are.... who they are becoming...
it forces me to .......... thankfully enjoy...
Bon Appetite :)
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Great post Anika, I love it, thanks. I hope your Thanksgiving was full of joy !!!!
Anika,
I'll see you on here for 7 words for Saturday, be there or be square girlfriend ! ;) ;)
Patricia
Post a Comment