Monday, June 05, 2006

acres of hope

Imagine acreage...I do all the time. I day dream of land, lots of it too. Acres and acres, 20 or more, the more the better, with a lake or stream (trout stream preferred) running through my property. I'd like some of it to be workable some forest. I want some horizon. I get drained looking out my beautiful windows only to see house after house after house. I wasn't made for suburbia. I'm not a city girl either. I think I am suited to acres and acres.
This weekend, Patty Anglin came to speak. She spoke to us about a different kind of acres. She spoke to us about Acres of hope. Acres of Hope is a neat ministry that deals with adoption. They have orphanages in Liberia that she spoke of. It was heart wrenching to learn of the plight of these people. As many of you know, Liberia was founded by freed slaves from America. She explained to us that their constitution was nearly identical to ours, they so admired it. They were a nation healthy and strong for 150 years. Unheard of in war torn Africa. Yet being that we are indeed a fallen race, these brothers fell into a war. A very ugly civil war, the bloodiest their continent has ever known. (sound familiar?) While the war is now over, Praise and glory be to God, their are so many children orphaned, injured, and alone. Mrs. Anglin spoke of poverty not only being having no home, or money, or food, but of it being more. She spoke of a poverty as a place of also having no love, of being unwanted, and utterly rejected. She spoke of how for 17 years the average person has not seen a book. There has been no school. Oh, it was a powerful speech. The work they are doing is amazing, the before and after pictures were astounding. Truly these beautiful children are the least of these. I encourage you to look at her site on the web www.acresofhope.org
To prep us for the talk, we received an email. It was the story of Leah, from Leah's point of view. Leah was an orphan from Liberia. She along with Rachel and Bobby were adopted and now live with a family here in the States. This beautiful couple that adopted them already had 4 children. Well they came to the talk. I had read the email to the children, and then we all got to meet Leah Rachel and Bobby. It made it so personal for Cole and Kiah, even for me. This lovely family sang for everyone. They sang beautiful worship songs for Jesus, songs native to their homeland Liberia. Some I know are adamant about Hymns only...Some I know are contemporary only, but I must say, I could never have only one sort of worship. Just give me brothers and sisters sincere in their faith, worshiping the one true God, with reverence and love, any day any time....It was lovely. Oh how blessed we are. I held my babies tight, and cried. We prayed, and when we came home they asked lots of questions. Even today they spoke of the power of the talk. One of the families we know are adopting two children from Liberia, and so the talk was so beautiful, because it in some way prepared us all for the arrival of these children. It has led to an excitement. Cole and Kiah feel as though those children are their friends already, and they haven't even met these children yet! Isn't it wonderful?
Well, I am not quite ready to adopt children, I have enough right now getting my homeschool, housework and health in order. But, never? no, not never, maybe someday. Who knows, maybe someday.
Oh, I am so thankful to have food to feed my babies, I am so glad to have books to teach from, I am so thankful for doctors and medicine, Oh, I am so glad for the body of Christ, working in this way. So glad for opportunities to pray for others.
Thank you Jesus for letting me pray for your body.
Anyway, I just had to tell you about Acres of Hope....
It was so hopeful, to see what Jesus is doing, how hopeful, well, hopeful enough to fill acres infinity. YOU ARE LOVED!
<>< anika

No comments: