Thursday, June 22, 2006

Just remembering...

I was just chatting with a dear friend (Susan P) and we were discussing things of God. The one attribute in particular we were discussing was God's faithfulness, and unchanging nature.
Hebrews 13 :8 says "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever".
We spoke of the "remembering" of God's faithfulness. Of the importance of recalling the great and small things God had done in our lives as well as in the Bible for the great strength remembering brings for us to cling to in difficult times, and as a source of encouragement to ourselves and to our brethren.
And I remembered this story...Susan thought it was so fun that I should share it here with you, so , well here goes....

It was early this spring when we were trying to begin the tidying of the outside of our home. The normal spring responsibilities, of cleaning out trash bins from the winter spills, clearing the flowerbeds of the trash that got caught up in them, as well as clearing away the dead leaves. This year we realized we really needed to have the house painted, and had it budgeted to happen, so I was eager to have the flowerbeds in particular cared for before the painter came.

I sent Cole out to clear the beds, of any and all debris. He came in sometime later utterly exhausted....I went to inspect.
I could see nothing accomplished, that would cause any thing near exhaustion. So I sent him out again.
This continued on and on. For several days.

I finally tired of the discussion. I submitted my dilemma to my husband, who in turn had a "speaking to " the boy.... From which we both noticed just barely any improvement.

So in prayer we turned, for the word of God says that Fathers are not to exasterbate their children you see. We have never found the verse in reverse...So prayer, and patience must be what is needed to persevere in this the "flower bed" trial.

What came next was the idea to let Kiah do the work. She was eager and enthusiastic at the idea of working the earth, tidying, making the home lovely, and earning an extra bit of money, for her "horse account". Cole's desire for the money had not got him moving, so the reward was offered to her.

After only 30 or so minutes or so, something amazing happened. With the flower bed remarkably neater, Kiah came bounding into the house. She screamed in delight, "Mom, Mom! guess what ?! Mama!!!!"
After inquiring as to what, she showed to me a slightly mouse eaten twenty dollar bill. Yes a twenty dollar bill ! She had stumbled on what must have been at some point that winter, a bed for some mice, many things were stuffed there, leaves and what not, and a partially eaten $20 ! Perfectly wonderful to still use.

God graciously, and in His good and wonderful way and time, taught my son the meaning of doing all things for HIS glory. The lesson of working diligently, at whatever task He has for you, for you will be rewarded...
And in the case of the "flower bed chore",
reward goes to KIAH,
in the amount of $20.
The Lord uses all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.
He even uses thieving mice!

To God be the Glory !
you are loved
your sister in Christ
daughter of the KING most High

No comments: