Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2s ick with strep throat 1 with the poopies

yes, it is terrible to be sick with strep throat, and to have to take the awful antibiotics that SO mess up my whole gut, because well, ya HAVE to take them when ya got strep throat!! It isn't a good thing to NOT take them.... ick
today the call came in that Princess KI also has the terrible sickening strep throat too, the culture came back... positive... eeeek!
so we are hanging out, keeping to ourselves, and EVERYONE, yep, every body who is anybody at our house got a new toothbrush today! and will get a new toothbrush again in a couple days.... and......
because sometimes we humans can be ever so gross .... and druel at night, we are washing sheets and pillowcases in HOT water to get them germ free!, because we just have to get this ick out of the house.
I even splurged at Costco and bought the Kirkland brand of wipes instead of the lysols. (generally I am a spray and wipe gal, hating to be wasteful, but when it comes to communicable diseases, I throw caution, or rather conviction out the window, and run for the safety net of convenient cleaning and sterilizing technologies... however varied) and Frankly, between you and me, the Kirkland hold up better than Lysol anyway! they are more durable, and have a better scent, and do NOT irratate my skin as badly (still.... but not as badly) all that and they are more affordable, and come in a three pack, one for upstairs, one for the kitchen and one for the rest of the main floor. We are wiping door handles, and everything you can think of...
We have been sick now,
for too long.
We need to be better to see Oma on Friday :)

Oma has started chemo treatments. And tomorrow she begins round two with the wicked drug, waging battle with the nasty cancer for six long hours tomorrow!!! We shall pray for her to be strong, and courageous!! It really is like waging war! So hard, emotionally, physically, mentally, spiritually to battle the likes of a disease like cancer. It is an advisory that has stolen so many friends, wreaked so much havoc, left so many lives desolate and despairing.... but always one must remember that Hope is not lost, Hope is in the Lord, and in LIFE, and in LOVE.... and because of the Lord, because Life is so amazing, beautiful and such a great gift from the Lord; because of LOVE, people we love are willing to fight cancer, and diseases like it. It is a hard fight, and we here at our home, are so humbled, honored and thankful for the fighting spirit Oma has, for the passion the Lord is fueling in her to "press on", and we have high hopes.... very high hopes indeed for Oma... I am so thankful for her!! I am so inspired by her willingness to fight this icky battle.... It is soooooooo hard! It hurts to just think about how hard it is, and that makes it even more special....

And so tomorrow is a battle that is 6 hours .. technically..... not counting the hours leading up to.. or the tired hours after.....
Thursday is two hours...
and Friday is two hours....
and Friday we simply pray we are healthy for our weekly visit, and our opportunity to take her to her treatment! It is so important that we are not ill when visiting Oma. When someone is sick with cancer their immune system is incredibly compromised! Her resistance to infection is like 0%! So it is important to be careful to pay attention to your body the days leading up to visiting an ill family member or friend to REALLY really be washing your hands, switching your toothbrushes regularly, taking your vitamins etc, doing all you can to BE pretty healthy... Pay attention to that tickle in your throat, (look at me... off and visiting her when my tickle was almost gone, thinking I was better, when the next morning I was sooo much worse, and it was STREP throat! I felt soo awful !!! Had I only gone a day or two before I visited and not pushed it off.... Praise God she did not get ill... Princess KI did... but Oma didn't....) and pay attentions to that runny nose, or that feeling of fatigue, and do what you can to boost your immune system and get your antioxidants up and fighting, get lots of rest, because VISITS are HUGE!!! for the person you love who is ill, and for you...

It is important for you to spend time with person you love.... It is so important to us to have our OMA day, to just be with her, to hear her stories, to just hang out with her, even if she is feeling junky... the kids and I don't care about being entertained... we just love HER... love being with HER... and it's so good for her to KNoW that... It encourages HER, and it encourages ME, and it is sooo great for the kids.. because as scary as cancer is to my mom and I, it really is a frightening monster to the children, and seeing Oma, and talking about treatments, and how she is feeling, leaves them feeling safe, and encouraged, and inspired by her.... She isn't strange or sick or weird, she's just OMA :) and seeing her this way is showing them another side of her, and they are loving her more every day!

is there someone in your life who needs to really know that they are important, and just plain LOVED?

VENTING TIME


I will be frank with you, it really gets my goat when people ask how my mom is, and I mention the cancer, or maybe they already know, and then they start talking about her in past tense..... like "o, I always liked your mom"... Yeah.... well "I STILL LIKE HER!" "She IS pretty great, she IS fighting hard, she HAS got a great attitude" and then I think.... "maybe you should be so lucky to have as good an attitude as she HAS! SHE IS NOT DEAD THANK YOU!" but of course...
i never actually say THAT part... I just think it.... but maybe I will start... watch out world!

I don't know WHY I am surprised at how very LITTLE people actually THINK before they speak. I ought not be.... but there it is... I am an utter idealist, utterly positive, and hopeful, and always thinking the BEST of folks; and generally stupefied when they reveal themselves to be utterly ignorant, careless, thoughtless, and / or rude... but there but by the grace of God go I ... and probably have, and did, and still do.... I am sure I stick my foot in MY mouth too.... actually, sometimes it is sure HARD to dislodge it
so enough with that rant...

I shall battle the strep throat, and pooopies that Buddy has, and the ignorance one person at a time.... I shall LOVE my mother, and my family, and my neighbor (however ignorant) as myself, after loving the Lord my God with all my heart, and all my soul and all my mind.... :) Lord willing we will see Oma on Friday as scheduled :)

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I hope that the strep and the poopies get cured soon! Sounds like you'er taking it all in stride. I will be praying for the supper cool Oma and for her treatment. I pray that you will be able to see her on friday.

Love Alicia