Thursday, April 22, 2010

Scatty

Scatty...
it's just a word..
an old old word... for
absent minded..
unable to.. stay on task..
forgetful...
well..
scatty
it really does sum me up some days
in the "LYME" world they call it
"brain fog"
in grade school
they might call it ADD
if I were really energetic
(which I am sometimes)
It might be ADHD...
though I am not either...
I am however scatty..
Some folks just loose attention,
some loose focus..
some loose items..
some forget times,
or loose track of time...
I sort of like the term scatty.
but it is NOT a medical term
and doctors always furrow their brow when the word is used...
humph
~
That said
I was excited to read about some neat therapies to help treat this
"scattyness" of mine..
is that spelled wrong?
would you even KNOW?
is scatty EVEN a word anymore..
ok
back to the topic..
therapy to help with focusing..
help with remembering
help with staying the course...
with multitasking the way I USED TO! :)

What is it you wonder???
Well, to Quote my pal Andrea Fabry
"One of the tools often used for patients with ADD, MS, balance disorders, autism, and sensory integration disorder, as well as those with traumatic brain injuries, is the Interactive Metronome. This biofeedback computer program is an assessment and treatment tool designed to improve the neurological processes of motor planning, sequencing, and processing."
I wonder if we could just squeeze "LYME fog" in there :)  I feel confident after reading Andrea's blog that this would definately be a huge benefit to the lyme community as far as rehabilitation therapies.
Andrea is researching this because of the damage done to her and her family by Toxic Mold.  The similiarities of the symptoms are uncanny frankly, and in her research she came across the book by Kathleen Stein, The Genius Engine:: Where Memory, Reason, Passion, Violence, and Creativity Intersect in the Human Brain.  Andrea goes on to give a bit of a summary of the three kinds of attention.
"1. Focus. This involves the ability to "stay with" a thought or skill. For example, the batter focuses on the ball as it leaves the pitcher’s hand.
2. Effortful attention. Stein describes this as "dedication, the drive that compels a person to persevere, keep striving, maintain discipline, and keep his eyes on the prize. It can be inextricably bound up with motivation, will, and desire."
3. Exclusionary/inhibitory attention. According to Stein, this form of attention "repels the continuous sensory barrage to which the brain is exposed, and runs interference against distracting thoughts, and inappropriate behaviors and remarks. When brain damage to the orbitofrontal PFC causes the loss of this attention, primitive drives and emotions can gain the upper hand over reason and social conventions."
If you have questions about this, if you want to learn more, PLEASE check out Andrea's site!  It is chock full of information about detoxing, toxic mold, neurotoxins, and a variety of healing alternatives... her families journey through this is simply amazing!  God has truly been a Gracious Shephard to them, and they a wonderful example of faith and perserverance.  OUR MOLD JOURNEY  On the post Andrea goes on to explain the therapy she is using to overcome this problem, and even has a video to demonstrate it!  I am so excited for her and her family!  I hope this is something we can do some time too..
for now, gluten free eating sure is helping..
baby steps..
and just one step at a time
one foot in front of the other :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anika!

Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog. I'm honored that you want to share my post! It makes me feel like I have a "purpose" :) I just hope it helps your friends and family to understand your struggle a little better! So yes, please do feel free to send the link to the post to whomever you think should read it, and yes, you may quote me!

I'm going to pray that you find yourself surrounded by a village soon. I hope and pray that doctors, practitioners, family members and friends surround you soon and help you pull out of this. You definitely deserve that!

Thinking of you,
Candice

Anonymous said...

P.S.!!

Hope you don't mind, but I linked your blog to mine under my "Other Infectious Bloggers" list. I just think your writing is fantastic :) Please let me know if you'd like me to take it down...but regardless...keep up the hard work, despite the foggy brain...because you still do beautiful work!