Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Hoodlems....

Yes that would be OUR rental car... was it broken into... ?
NO...
So,
who would smash the side mirror of a car like that,
and why?

Well, I suppose that we are not alone in asking these questions...
We along with the dozen other cars parked along St. Barthelemy asked these very question
the next morning when going out to our cars...
Who would do that?
Why?

I could get all mellow dramatic, and talk to you about sin, the fallen nature of man, depravity, and it would all be true... We could get psychological, and talk about teen angst, anger issues, the drug issues in my neighborhood, all those lovely topics not so "blogger friendly"... and it would be true.. Homeless people sleep outside ourdoor... Drunks sing, and scream, and carrouse some nights very loudly, prostitutes walk in the streets below ours and we see them as we walk home in the evenings, human trafficking is a real issue here, and we are often thankful for our large locked gated doorway... it seems often more practical than quaint...
Why smash our car? Who did it?.. who knows.... People can be just ugly.... But then, People can suprise you and be amazingly wonderful too.. it is the nature of man... both goodness and evil wrapped up in one being.... All just too deep for todays post...
So off to try and get it replaced... and yes this is a drama... as our French is not the best, Rob is busy actually working, and trying to deal with the Rental Agency has not been the easiest... The wonderful gal at the office in America has been trying, but language differences and the huge time gap make it pretty hard, so, finally she had the brilliant idea to have our Translator from America call last night, Lord BLESS both these ladies!!! & hopefully today all will be worked out when Rob goes there...

It is pretty hard to drive in France with ANY mirror missing, as the drivers on 2 wheels are a bit wacky and one just might hit them! That would be awful!!Lord willing we shall have a new minivan tonight... perhaps a wee bit bigger than the last...

2 comments:

Cole said...

I hope that we get a big van
I wonder who smashed the mirror

Anonymous said...

HI Conforth Gang
I guess you're officially a "gang" now that you've experienced gang violence in France.
I've read many articles in the French press about car vandalism. A favorite target of the North African Arab minority is the car, probably as a symbol of affluence. When rioting occurs in France, they set fire to the cars in the street. It's an easy target, since the gasoline burns, and there are no traces left of the perpetrators. The car seems to be targeted as a symbol of affluence, since class distinctions (despite any American argument to the contrary) are much more entrenched and rigid in France than in the States. In ghettos in the U.S., I would argue that we are much less civilized, since our violence takes the form of gun violence on persons, rather than cars. In France, there may be more property damage, but much less killing or wounding with firearms.
Even the word for "hoodlum" isn't all that nasty: "voyou"... I've heard my best friend in France call her little adored nephew a "voyou" as a sort of cute way to say "rascal". Officially, I would translate it as "truand", in legal terms.
I hope your problem is quickly resolved, and I look forward to seeing you all soon.
Deborah