Thursday, June 18, 2009

a little mid week adventure with silk



this is one of my favorite bridges, it is only for people...
and it leads to one of my favorite churches, I think it is just so pretty...
I took oodles of pictures,
but won't overwhelm you with THAT today...
ok, well, maybe just one more for you... isn't this one beautiful! ???

not far from the church was a wee little play ground, we just HAD to stop off to play!

burn off that energy

This is one of my favorite photos

a view from the park... I liked this a lot... seemed so ... French

so did this!

and off to a silk shop...
Lyon is KNOWN for it's silk industry, and we have YET to tour the old Silk district,
but we found this stray silk maker right in Vieux Lyon,
and so, took a little impromptu tour! how fun! come along inside!
Behind the fancy silk scarves and fancies, there lies a shop! and here it is!
The silk merchant, busy about his work...
Caspian is so intrigued by the industry he is seeing... the thread is just so thin

wow, look how pretty!

an etching of some kind, I wonder if it is a design he will use later

look at THAT
even Buddy thinks this is neat-O


see how fine... how delicate, how precious? amazing art work

see the loom work


sooo thin, so very very fine and delicate

all the silks prearranged in the color patterns ready to go! stacks and stacks of silk..........
more of the shop

We are able to understand a bit more French than our mouths are able to speak,
this tour was wonderful, the proprietor was warm and welcoming,
and spoke no English to us at all...
The children and I smiled, trying to take it all in...
It was simply wonderful, we felt there was a lot we missed because of the language issue,
but we learned so much it was worth the effort...
another shot of the loom
another work bench in the shop
tools lots and lots of tools
needles?
some kind of threader.. with a magnifier in the middle
the finished products


simply beautiful
St Jean on the way home...
well, maybe some glace first... (yes that would be ice cream!)

4 comments:

AmyR said...

Anika, I love love love your adventure in France, what a major blessing! Thank you for sharing it with us, your public :)

Teri said...

The silk tour is amazing!!!!!! I just want to run my hands through it all.

I love bridges. I know a lot of people who don't, but I've always loved them.

sweetnika said...

I am thrilled that "my public" is commenting! :) love you gals!!!

Do you like all the pictures? Sometimes I take so many, I don't want to overwhelm... ya know? ha!

Teri, I love bridges too!! I am not fond however of sitting on really big ones in traffic for long periods of time... but i love taking pictures of all kinds of bridges.. I really like the one in this post... Ihave many more photos of it, and I love that it is red, down the river there is a pink bridge... PINK!

Kent and Mari said...

Anika!! I love your photos!! Miss you guys.

Mari