many of you know.. and yet perhaps...many do not...that Buddy has a number of Allergies..
many of which we are aware of and deal with an allergist for...
Our insurance however did NOT want to pay for our allergist to do "food testing" on Buddy... so we are pretty much on our own in figuring out what foods he is allergic to... This is a bit of a drama at times. We think if we go to a University Doctor.. then they might pay... but that requires research, which... we think we might NEED to do...
But luckily while many things can make him quite ill, nothing has come close
to being an "anaphylactic" type allergy besides his bee allergy...
that is until the other night...
his symptoms came on so strangely,
and he is SO the PERSONALITY
that we did not realize that he wasn't JUST being silly
not at first...
it was the night of fete de la Musique here in Lyon...
and we had eaten out at a place outside of the city
a place we'd eaten at before...
hindsight always 20/20
we remember now, he wasn't well that night either,
he'd needed his inhaler that night too....
And we only came up to go to the bathroom, drop off our things,
and then planned on attending the festivities just outside our door!
But that was NOT to happen....
Frankly, I don't care HOW many CPR classes I could have taken,
how MANY books I could have read,
or how many years I have been a mother (this year count 13),
or the many years in the child care/ education field I labored...
I really did not recognise the early stage of anaphylactic as it STARED me in the face...
it scared me...
it got me praying, and soothing,but recognise it for what it was... no not at first sight
and yet I knew I had to give him benedryl,
I also gave him his inhaler,
and sat on the couch, with him on me, and the computer balanced on the arm rest, and Rob on his computer and we searched.... we scoured the net... what was happening to our baby!
like idiots...
what causes foaming at the mouth???
he didn't get bit by anything...
Did you get bit Buddy?
no....
Rabies ruled out....
No stings,
no puncture wounds, no no no....
are you just making the funny bubbles buddy,
as he is seeming so silly, and out of it...
out of it...
symptom!
check.....
ok, now we are getting somewhere,
cheeks getting fat,
wheezing...
asthma attack....
LOOSER MAMA!!!
Where do we go here in France???????
by the time we figured out WHAT was happening our soon to be dr. friend was at our door...
but thanks to the amazingly thick door we have
the fact we have NO buzzer
and the fact it was fete de la MUSIC!!!
we had no chance of EVER hearing him or his lovely bride....
Buddy's swelling chilled out,
his breathing was steady...
his heart rate was stable,
and we searched on line for a hospital....
could it REALLY be THAT far???
how would we get through the crowds... ???
he was calm
he was stable...
should we try,
should we call 15?
should we, would it be ok, with the benedryl...
this time???
well, our friends Jonathan and Kari got hold of us when they got home,
and calmed us down,
we have now... a plan of action should anything else exciting arise...
Lord... we have been so blessed this whole trip... with NO illness
no attacks
no drama medically,
all by YOUR hand...
let it continue...
let us get home in one piece...
and help us discern what specifically caused THIS attack,
because as we know, each one will get stronger as he is exposed...
I dread going to a French hospital.. and not speaking their language...
having to go through all that...
Poor Buddy...
so just like always, but MUCH wiser now than before...
we are armed with epi-pen
benedryl
cellphone
and knowledge...
scared the YOU KNOW WHAT out of me!
so if you think of it, be prayin' for our Buddy, that the Adventure continue...
with out further incident...
blessings :)






5 comments:
that is insane! what is their justification for not paying for allergy testing?
((((((((((Buddy))))))))
having gone into shock myself, I feel both your pain. I typically also go into denial- because I don't want to be sick
oh, they do "allergy testing" but according to the office I go to they will not be food specific... nice right!
seeing as those often cause the most dangereous symptoms...
looks like when I go home, I may have to have 2 Allergiest.. One fancy one that they LET do fancy food tests... (university?) and one regular that we see in our neck of the woods...
Perhaps it is a matter of what letters follow my drs name... I don't know... but he can't be tested there, and it sounded like ..like he couldn't get food testing... now, I feel like I need to look into that a bit deeper, and be prepared for a fight...
hopefully, there won't be one, and the Lord, as always, will have gone before me, and I'll just need to see YET another doctor! ha!
thanks for the sympapthy on my going "into shock" with Buddy... I rather hadn't thought of that...
you are loved!
My kids have had the food allergy skin test as early as 3 or 4.
The only one my dr doesn't do on them or me is shellfish, because I am allergic and it is risky to do since you don't know the reaction
Anika,
Praise God for His protection of your family!!! Wow, that is so hard, and so far from home. We can't wait to get you all back here.
Love you guys!!
Mari
PS I miss our skype time :)
thank you Mari..
i miss it too...
can't wait to GET home girl!!!
walks with you..
drs who speak english..
even with a heavy accent will be ok!
ha!
Post a Comment