Friday, June 19, 2009

A mistaken adventure

"He who does not travel does not know the value of men" moorish proverb
We are off on an adventure
to a fort perhaps
or where ever our feet may take us
here are photos I have taken along the way
well, a sampling...
and some fun quotes
just for you ....
We are leaving the Villa's walkway,
Buddy is the leasts enthusiastic
about NOT having an ACUTAL for CERTAIN destination...
bahhhh!
T.S. Eliot said
it was "the journey not the arrival that matters"
a view from our walkway,
it overlooks the famed Montee du Change..
Isn't it lovely?
and you know what I am learning...
well,
“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.”
Robert Louis Stevenson
I love finding OLD old cars,
funny foreign cars,
so do my kids,
isn't this one great?
each exiting thing reminds me
“All the pathos and irony of leaving one’s youth behind is thus implicit
in every joyous moment of travel:
one knows that the first joy can never be recovered,
and the wise traveler learns not to repeat successes
but tries new places all the time.”
Paul Fussell
“Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
“There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it.”
Charles Dudley Warner
"The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality,
and instead of thinking how things may be,
to see them as they are.”
Samuel Johnson

"Two of the greatest gifts we can give our children are roots and wings."
Hodding Carter

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry,
and narrow-mindedness.”
Mark Twain


Lord, May they see the world throught the eyes of Christ
not through
narrow eyes
through pride
throug prejudice
or any bigogry....
Thank you for the reminder Mr. Twain....
"Let your memory be your travel bag."
Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Adventure is a path.
Real adventure -
self-determined, self-motivated, often risky -
forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world.
The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it.
Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness.
In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness
and bottomless cruelty of humankind -
and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both.
This will change you.
Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.”
Mark Jenkins
“Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.”
Paul Theroux
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do
than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
Martin Buber
“To my mind,
the greatest reward and luxury of travel is
to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time,
to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.”
Bill Bryson
This lovely lady was throwing fruit to my children to enjoy! :) and we did!
Merci Madame!

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs,
fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.”
James Michener
"The Road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow,
if I can, pursuing it with eager feet,
until it joins some larger way where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then?
I cannot say."
J.R.R.Tolkien
“Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember,
and remember more than I have seen.”
Benjamin Disraeli
“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure.
There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.”
Jawaharial Nehru "A traveler without observation is like a bird without wings"
Moslih Eddin Saadi
"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things."
Henry Miller
“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on,
deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.”
Miriam Beard
Well, what do you see Buddy???
“A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”
Lao Tzu
See that road down there, we'll be on it in a moment! :)
keep on walking....

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere,
but to go.
I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.”
Robert Louis Stevenson
nearly forgotten...
seeing the things you can only see when looking
while walking....
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
Charles Kuralt
"The true traveler is he who goes on foot,
and even then, he sits down a lot of the time."
Colette (1873 - 1954)

“Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by.”
Robert Frost
(did I use this one twice? I love this quote... I love the whole poem!)
and this picture is so lovely...
what a neat design, on the side of the road!
The fort is on the left...
That is where Caspian wishes to go...

“A good traveler has no fixed plan, and is not intent on arriving.”
Lao Tzu
my fellow Travelers...
“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.”
Aldous Huxley
view of Saone
the VERY closed gate
a government building...
no tourists
or travelers welcomed
here are the Velo's
you can rent them and drop them off to walk
and rent another
anywhere in all Lyon!
fun!
Lovely view,
(we're letting the adventure continue)
smoke near basillica Notre Dame?
leaves burning?

“The journey not the arrival matters.”
T. S. Eliot
the pink foot bridge
looking across Saone over into Vieux Lyon...


“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
St. Augustine
Purple foot bridge to St. Paul...
the walk home

That church is St. Paul
tooo cool
above coool door
back at Temple du Change
in OUR neighborhood
for a much needed soda break!


NEXT Blog - touring through Wine Country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Senegal Daily said...

I love seeing Lyon through your lens. And the quotations and poetry really accent it beautifully.