(warning : some nude statues shown in this blog )
So chatting on Face book, my pal Tracy said she planned on going to see the movie
ONE NIGHT THE MUSEUM
this upcoming weekend..
which made me think...
I really ought to share with you
OUR
NIGHT at the Museum
this past Saturday
When the city of Lyon
opened up many of it's Museums
to the Public for FREE viewings...
YES
Free
Saturday NIGHT
from 7pm-1am
you know how penurious we are
how could we pass up
FREE CULTURE?
We have established Free OPERA..
now FREE Museums
This is MY kind of FREE
it is right up the street through a beautiful park, from our Villa
Come walk through the Gardens with us
Are these rose archways not beautiful.
Their fragrance was just as sweet....
one simply wanted to linger here...
in the twilight
can you see how the fading sun can change the lighting?
These beautiful purples were swarming with bumble bee's
all too busy and all too quick for me..
I am on the way to the Museum!
one more quick smell,
one more lingering moment to enjoy this beauty!
Who can resist this!
O but I must tarry on my way!
Look down and see the blossoms at my very feet!
My how this path has changed in the week or two since I last wandered it.....
Look at all the work being done!
They are preparing the Ruins for the Summer festivals..
Here they will carry on the ancient Roman purpose for these amphitheaters..
Here this summer in the evenings shall be
theater, concerts, and performances of many kinds!
Preparation has begun!!
ooops
I bought a book! So jam packed with finds is this little gem...
And every Thursday is FREE !!
We are SO coming back... Thursdays only
While I hold NO incredibly special place in my heart for Mary...
She WAS the Mama of my Lord Jesus...
It is simply a lovely artistic work too!
Here in this city you will often see such Statutes and Idols carved into the buildings blessing you as you walk about the city...
this is one we passed on our way to the NEXT Museum
This is my Kebab sandwich wrap...
they all got burgers...
I think they were jealous after they saw mine...
they should have been too
mine ROCKED!
snapping pictures :)
it is nearly 9:30...
I love the carving above the doorway, the columns the grand entry...
MODEST
statues
Perseus versus Medusa
My children brought to my attention that some VERY important items are missing
from THIS artists rendition...
Making it historically inaccurate!
*The shield that Athena gave to Perseus
*The bag to put Medusa's head in & cover her face with
IF
her face were really shown like it is depicted HERE
Perseus would have been turned to stone....
which is why he needed the mirrored shield!
This is supposed to be Hercules and his famous bow.
It is said that only Hercules' friend Philoctetes could pull it back
so Hercules gave it to him,
and legend has it that Philoctetes used it in the battle of Troy.
just some history thanks to Caspian!
in the EGYPTIAN section...
????
Marc Antony or some relation?
Happy Naked Family
perhaps they are actually a bit dysfunctional...
we will never know...
but somehow we liked this portrait...
A father
with a slightly older boy of maybe 4-6
and a Mother resting on the fathers thigh
while baby, looking under 18 months
crawls under father's leg to suckle mother's milk...
it was a very human and intimate portrait for the stoic Greeks..
it was a bit odd..
and somehow for all their need to be naked
we liked this one :)
I like that she was a beautiful full figured gal,
who did not have any kind of eating disorder...
She looks NORMAL
and BEAUTIFUL
praying to Jesus!
I wish I had gotten more photo's of these, I will try another time.
They are
as far as we can guess
early "bible tracts"
They are in essence the most intricate, and beautiful etchings,
of the gospel stories, and they were linked together like books...
Walking from Palm Sunday
through the last Supper
to the Crucifixion,
and the resurrection...
amazing, simply amazing, I wanted to cry...
People would carry them around to share the good news...
Pretty wonderful stuff!
And amazing detail in the artistry!
In so much of what we saw,
we observed man seeking either to glorify SELF
or
To Glorify God...
and
as the catechism teaches
"the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever"
.....
trying to glorify...
and definitely Enjoying HIM...
how about you..
that was our one night at the museum!






2 comments:
Amazing! I loved the photos; particularly the full-figured woman. Beautiful!
Hello Anika,
Such beautiful blogs you have.
I love them and I am going to follow you, if you don"t mind.
Today you commented on my blog and though I am not sure if you felt compassion for the blogger that no one comments or if you enjoyed something you read , or just liked my blog but eighter way I thank you for taking the time to leave comments. I do appreciate it.
I see you like the "You never said you were leaving" poem, I also love that one.
If you go back through my blog it is scattered with poems I have written myself.
Unless I state it is written by someone else, they are my writings, signed P.S.N.
that would be me.
So you sure do go on some awesome adventures, woweee, seems like so much fun
and a lot of memory making times.
I live in new York state on long island. so I am not in mass. but yes we do have stop & shop.
Nathan's blog sure has brought a lot of people together, hasn't it.
I do love his blog and his wife Tricia's too.
Well, my new friend I hope to hear more from you.
Until next time.....
Patricia.
Post a Comment