Saturday, December 05, 2009

homeschoolin'

ya know we do that?
we do our schoolin' @ home...
well sometimes @ the library, or @ Oma's or... in the car..
or if we're in France (which was a fluke) in a VILLA (ooo la la)
or in hotels..
but we don't do it in institutional buildings... generally speakin..
nope...
we like it that way..
School as a family..
we do
lots of reading, lots of history, lots of MATH
and science too...
we've been preparing for some fun Math Stuff just right around the corner,
and our fun curriculum (YES FUN) has some great ways of teaching you
the easy way...
and the HARD way of doing a problem...
and every time we get to one of these sections
I learn something about myself...
I have been taught to do things the hard ways...
harder than they need to be..
and I LOVE learning that their is an easier, smarter, quicker, more efficient way of tackling a problem...

Here is an simple example... try it out, but SHOW me your math,... and I will tell you if you did it the EASY way or the hard way :)

Suppose that in the summertime it takes you 40 minutes to fire up your grill.  BUT in the dead of a icy Chicago winter it takes like 15%  longer!  How LONG will it take???

 (remember I don't JUST want the answer, I want HOW you got there- not because HOW you get your answer is right or wrong, but it will tell me if you go about it the HARD way or the EASY way :)  try it!)

No comments: