Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Freeze Pop

Ever sit down to do something
something you were excited to do..
perhaps really excited to do,
nervous even...
Something that you had been
anticipating...
and just found yourself
Frozen?

Found yourself unable to remember
 HOW to even write your name?

I remember once when I was a young girl...
my dear friend Nikky who had moved far far far away,
all the way to the other side of the world practically,
well,
ok to a neighboring state,
had come to visit..
I was so very excited to see her,
so anxious all week at her impending arrival,
my stomach was simply enveloped with butterflies,
my tongue all tied in knots...
by the time she actually arrived it was supper time,
and we had to sit.
We had to be still
and be good little girls
all proper
or so it seemed to me.
It FELT like I had to give a good impression on this girl.
This girl who I had only ever hopped fences with,
and climbed trees,
caught frogs with, and practiced spitting on brothers with...
This girl who was my side kick as much
as I was hers...
We were trouble,
we were tomboys, and the terrible twosome
on our amazing bicycles
speeding around the neighborhood
shouting our favorite songs at the TOP of our lungs...
Yet here I was...
Trying to be lady like
and proper, even wearing
CLEAN clothing
nearing our teen years,
and feeling all ...
uncomfortable with my pal.
It had been years,
and I just wanted to PICK up where we'd...
left off...
I was frozen...
Who was this new step brother...
Why was her other brother acting so ..
wierd???
Why had EVERYTHING changed..
i was sooo frozen
i forgot HOW to even use my fork and knife.
LITERALLY.

talk about embarassing.
My parents were infuriated.
My fork fell to the floor...
My mother scolded me,
and Nikky looked at me,
and I wanted to cry,
when suddenly
that Fire came back into her eyes
and she dropped her fork too
and giggled
and I giggled
and we BOTH got into trouble..

but everything was ok...
sometimes
we can build things up..
get so stressed out
that we can forget the simplest things,
how to tie our shoe,
what our name is
it's like a mental BREAK in our minds..
Like a gate closed in our corpus colosum
shutting out the information that wanted to travel
from the right side of our brain
to the left and from the left
to the right...

Laughter
Love
Joy
Rest
chocolate
these are just some things
that can help open those doors..
There are many...
Have you ever seen a door shut for your child...
One has shut today for one of mine..
Such excitement
and suddenly such despair
because the door slammed shut...
thinking it's time for a tickle fight
and some chocolate!
:)  either that
or I could dump out the forks :) 
I think the information will POP out soon

No comments: